Saturday, January 27, 2007

We support children in Ukraine

Most of my posts are directly related to toll free numbers, but I wanted to share something else that we're involved in. Some friends of my wife and I, run the Brenna Engle Foundation which helps underprivileged children in Lutsk, Ukraine.

The conditions for the poor in Ukraine make the poor in the US look rich. Rich and Donna live in Poughkeepsie but run a small home for several children who have parent (they're not orphans) but the parents aren't able to support them. Four or five children from 5 to 16 year old live in this small home connected to a church, which runs a program to feed 50 to 75 children per day. For many of them it's their only hot meal and they have a variety of bible study and church activities for them.

My wife Karen is leaving in a few days to go over with several people, to help out with a variety of things there for about two weeks. They will post information about the trip and pictures at http://brennaenglefoundation.blogspot.com/.

I think most people really like to help others, but so often it's hard to do something really tangible since your support has to get funneled through a large organization. That is fine, and often the only way to help in many situations. But it's also very nice to find something small that really makes a direct difference in a few live too. That's what I really like about this. I know the people involved and know that all the support goes right to the people who need it and appreciate it so much. It really makes a difference and I'm glad to share this and be a part of it.

No comments: