Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Phones without buttons?


The Consumer Electronic Show is going on in Las Vegas right now. It's a great place for tech companies to show their versions of the future. This is a concept phone from Onyx (Photo Credit: Synaptics). And it made me wonder a little about vanity numbers, as you might imagine. I think in some ways this will actually help though.

Cell phones have very small buttons and many don't have the letters on the keys. This may be the answer, because this type of phone will always have a way to bring up a keypad and that keypad can take much more room than the tiny cell phone buttons on most phones today, and they'll certainly have the lettters there. So ultimately I think this is a very good thing. As phones get smarter they ultimately have to work and interact the user wants or needs them to. And since vanity numbers are in grained in the consumer and our society, no matter what happens technologically (and the dizzying range of possibilities at the CES show how uncertain that can be!) vanity numbers aren't going to go away, no matter what nay saying prognosticators say. That's just my humble opinion, but I do have a little bit of experience.

I actually think our technology is going to ultimately increase the use and acceptance of vanity numbers more and faster than technology is going to undermine it. That's just my opinion but I am putting my money and life into that, to make this possible for more and more people and small businesses everywhere.

Tell me what you think!...

No comments: